President-Elect Obama's election and no failure to accord this new
President the respect and honor due to anyone elected to that high
office. Failure in this responsibility is disobedience to a clear
...we must commit ourselves to pray for this new
President, for his wife and family, for his administration, and for the
We must pray that God would change President-Elect Obama's mind and
heart on issues of our crucial concern. May God change his heart
and open his eyes to see abortion as the murder of the innocent unborn,
to see marriage as an institution to be defended, and to see a host of
issues in a new light. We must pray this from this day until the
day he leaves office. God is sovereign, after all.
Still, we must press on as advocates for the unborn, for the elderly, for the infirm, and for the vulnerable. We must redouble our efforts to defend marriage and the integrity of the family. We must be vigilant to protect religious liberty and the freedom of the
pulpit. We face awesome battles ahead.
from Desiring God Blog
(Author: John Piper)
Father in heaven, as we approach this election on Tuesday, I pray
1) that your people will vote,
2) and that they will vote with a sense of thankfulness for a democratic system that at least partially holds in check the folly and evil in all our hearts so that power which corrupts so readily is not given to one group or person too easily;
3) that we would know and live the meaning of
- being in the world, but not of it,
- doing politics as though not doing them,
- being on the earth, yet having our lives hidden with Christ in God,
- rendering to Caesar the things that are Caesars, and to God the things that are God's;
4) that we would discern what truths and values should advance by being made law and which should advance only by the leavening of honest influence;
5) that your people would see what love and justice and far-seeing wisdom demand in regard to the issues of education, business and industry, health care, marriage and family, abortion, welfare, energy, government and taxes, military, terrorism, international relations, and every challenge that we will face in the years to come;
6) and above all, that we will treasure Jesus Christ, and tell everyone of his sovereignty and supremacy over all nations, and that long after America is a footnote to the future world, he will reign with his people from every tribe and tongue and nation.
Keep us faithful to Christ's all important Word, and may we turn to it every day for light in these dark times.
In Jesus' name,